Fall is in the air, and that means it’s time for apple picking! Henderson County in Western NC is home to a number of apple orchards, where you can pick your own apples and enjoy the beautiful autumn scenery. In fact, Henderson County produces about 85% of North Carolina’s apples!
Here are a few of the best apple orchards in Henderson County:
- Apple House & Owenby Orchards is a family-owned orchard that has been growing apples for over 50 years. They offer a variety of apple varieties, as well as other fruits and vegetables.
- Grandad’s Apples is another family-owned orchard that offers a variety of apple varieties, as well as a corn maze, pumpkin patch, and country store.
- Justus Orchard is a fourth-generation family farm that offers pick-your-own apples, pumpkins, and blackberries. They also have a bakery and a playground.
- Mountain Fresh Orchards is a 12-acre orchard that grows 16 varieties of homegrown, North Carolina apples. They also have a cider mill and a bakery.
- Sky Top Orchard is located just a few minutes from Hendersonville in Flat Rock, NC. They offer pick-your-own apples, as well as a variety of other activities, such as hayrides and wagon rides.
- Coston Farm is a family-owned and operated farm that has been growing apples for over 100 years. They also have a bakery and a country store where you can buy apple cider, apple pies, and other apple treats.
- Jeter Mountain Farm is a 411-acre farm that offers a variety of activities, including pick-your-own apples, apple cider donuts, hayrides, and a corn maze.
- Stepp’s Hillcrest Orchard is a fourth-generation family farm that has been growing apples since 1920. They offer pick-your-own apples, as well as a variety of other fruits, vegetables, and flowers. They also have a bakery and a country store.
No matter which orchard you choose, you’re sure to have a fun and memorable apple picking experience in Western NC.
Here are some tips for planning your apple picking trip:
- Call the orchard ahead of time to check their hours of operation and availability of apples.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Bring a hat and sunscreen, especially if you’re going on a sunny day.
- Bring a basket or bag to carry your apples.
- Be prepared to get dirty!
Apple picking is a great way to enjoy the fall weather and scenery in the Western NC mountains. We hope you enjoy this amazing fall activity for the whole family!